A NSW Government website

Report a dog attack

Reporting a dangerous or menacing dog

If you have evidence that a dog is dangerous or menacing, please notify your local council. This includes dogs that display unreasonable aggression.

What should I do if a dog attacks me?

If you have seen a dog attack a person or animal, or you have been attacked by a dog yourself, report it to your local council. This advice stands for attacks that happen in public and private settings.

If the attack happened outside local council hours, you may call your local police station. Police officers are also authorised officers under the Companion Animals Act 1998. Authorised officers have a wide range of powers to deal with owners of attacking dogs, including seizing dogs that have attacked.

Access data on dog attacks in NSW